Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Meaningful Diamonds(:

 
A few months ago, I overheard my brother say something about turning my mom into a diamond. I didn’t really pay much attention to it until today when I was reminded of the conversation. He had apparent heard a story on tv about someone turning their parent who had passed away into a diamond and that person wore their parent on a necklace around their neck. It made them feel close to their parent who was no longer with them.
As I thought of it this morning, at first I thought what a morbid idea. But as I thought longer, I wondered of the cost to do this, the process and who came up with this idea. So I got on line…and I stumbled onto a website for a company called LifeGem. This website was awesome. It went through and explained everything from what they offered to why you should consider it. Let me explain quickly.
According to this website, the process for creating diamonds has been around for many years. Apparently it was first invented by General Electric back in the 1950’s. I learned that Diamonds are “created by subjecting carbon, the primary element of all diamonds, to conditions that recreate the forces of nature.” LifeGem has recreated this natural process. The only difference is that they use “an exact carbon source” to recreate the diamonds. They collect the carbon of your family member which is then heated to really high temperatures. This is called the purification process. This process changes the carbon to graphite that has unique characteristics to create your one of a kind diamond. The longer the carbon is in the heat source, the larger the diamond. Diamonds made by this company allegedly have the same exact characteristics of natural diamonds – hardness, brilliance and luster. The final step in the process is telling the diamond cutter what shape you want your diamond to be and the color…yes they come in five different colors! That’s it! Except to pay for it which looks to be pretty close to the cost of what you would pay for a natural diamond.
It’s a thought I guess. I don’t know how I really feel about it. It feels weird but on the other hand, it is a nice idea. So what do you think... could you turn a loved one into jewelry? :/
(394)
Ardeeemilla(:

No comments:

Post a Comment