Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Why is gas so expensive?


I’m currently in the process of taking drivers education and am hoping that by the end of the school year, just in time for summer, that I’ll have my very own first car.  I have a job and I work hard to save my money because I know that I will need it for college.  Because college is just around the corner, I have been more aware of where my money goes and finding out how difficult it is to save up those few pennies I earn.  It’s much easier for me to say no to purchase that item that I didn’t really need.  But with having a car there comes expenses.  Insurance, oil changes and of course gas.  Why is it that we pay so much money for gas anyway, and I really don’t understand why the price of gas changes from one day to the next?  So of course, the best way to find an answer to this question is to go on line and research it.

It was difficult to find a website that spoke to me in terms that I understood.  When it comes to things that the government and financial institutions have their hands in, it always seems like the talk in ‘big words’ that makes it difficult to understand.  So first I looked for an answer to what made up the actual gas prices.  I found this:  Crude Oil + Refining Process + Retail Sales/Distribution + Taxes = Gas Price.  Makes total sense.  Without even looking this up, I assume that a big reason that the prices fluctuated so much was because of the actual gas station owners.  Gas prices are much higher now than they were back when my parents first started driving cars.  My grandparents paid about $.25 per gallon back in the 1960’s.  The reason for this?  Well, according to this site, one big reason is due to the increased demand. Large countries with big populations such as China have seen an increase in demand due to the increase in motorists.  Additionally, oil companies have had to work harder to get oil because so much oil has already been taken out of the ground causing the extraction process to cost more as well.  The quality of this oil is not as good either so it costs more money to refine it and make it usable.  Between the jump in demand and flat production, gas prices have risen.  Countries that supply oil who are in volatile situations such as Iraq and Iran can cause other countries who are in good standings to raise their prices.  They see that Iran and Iraq can tell us that they won’t send us any oil so they up their prices basically because they can.  Then you ad taxes in there….

So, I guess I was wrong.  I thought it was the gas station owners who were just playing games with each other and us but there really is more that goes into it.  Whether it is right or wrong, until we figure out another way to make our vehicles move…it looks like we are stuck paying the prices.  Someday maybe we will go back to the way it used to be.  A time when there was much less but we had a lot more…HORSES!!!!(549)

Ardeeemilla(:

No comments:

Post a Comment